STEAM: SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, ARTS, MATHEMATICS
Saint Xavier High School recognizes the value that STEAM course offerings bring. Co-curricular and class opportunities allow for a high degree of integration. As your top choice for a quality education, you can expect the following:
- Fine Arts offerings such as sculpture, digital music, and graphic design make use of technology such as the 3-D printer, the laser cutter, Adobe Creative Suite, and iPad apps such as Garage Band and Finale.
- The engineering classes integrate principles from physics and mathematics for planning and construction projects.
- Students with an interest in architecture interweave math, physics, and technology in Computer Aided Drafting.
- The Medical Club offers real-world opportunities to apply principles from chemistry, biology, and anatomy in medical settings.
- The Air and Space Program allows students hands-on experience with math, science, engineering, and technology to investigate fields such as airport design, aeronautical engineering, flight operations and maintenance, air traffic control, unmanned aerial systems technology, aviation logistics, and aeronautics. Flight simulators are used on campus, and additional labs are conducted at Bowman Field.
- Engineering, math, technology, and physics are combined in robotics classes and clubs, where students program a humanoid to perform tasks. They can also build and program smaller robots to run an obstacle course and engage in a series of tasks in preparation for competitions.
- Forensic Science integrates the application of biological, chemical, physical, medical, and behavioral sciences in laboratory settings.
All STEAM courses and co-curricular opportunities are designed to aid in the development of integrated, critical thinking skills in creative ways.