Cheer tryouts will be set as soon as we have approval from KHSAA.
Saint Xavier High School
Bass Fishing Team
Matt Yarborough, enters 2018-2019 as his seventh season as Head Bass Fishing Coach. He is a full-time faculty member at Saint Xavier in the Fine Arts Department, where he teaches Instrumental Music, Percussion/Keyboard, AP Music Theory, Digital Music, and Jazz Combo. He also directs the Pep Band, Jazz Band, Pit Orchestra, and helps with the Ice Hockey Team. He has been an avid multispecies angler for as long as he can remember. Growing up in Charlotte, N.C., gave him the opportunity to fish year-round during his childhood. Matt and his father began bass fishing when he was about 14 years old.
Matt moved to Louisville in the summer of 2004 to begin his master’s degree at the University of Louisville. When he arrived in Louisville, he began adapting his fishing skills and knowledge to the Kentucky waterways. When Saint Xavier announced its first KHSAA bass fishing team, Coach Yarborough jumped at the chance to be involved and has enjoyed the process of organizing and coaching the team. His first team earned a regional championship, and Coach Yarborough again looks forward to the tournaments this spring.
Matt and his wife, Kristin, have two beautiful children: Emma and Teddy.
Assistant Coach: Dale Hall
Bass Fishing Through the Years
- In the spring season of 2013, Saint Xavier added its 17th sport when the KHSAA sanctioned bass fishing. Under the leadership of Head Coach Matt Yarborough, the Tigers experienced immediate success as they captured the inaugural Kentucky Bass Fishing Region 2 title. Led by juniors David Brewer ’14 and Luke Miller ’14, as well as freshmen Evan Bale ’16 and Carter O'Brien ’16, the winning boat captured 10 pounds and seven ounces to become Region Champions. Additionally, Luke Miller won the individual honor of "Big Fish" with a solid five-pound brute at the tournament.
- In 2014 the Bass Fishing team grew in numbers from 16 students to around 40. The schedule of tournaments for the Tiger fishermen also increased dramatically over the previous year. The Tigers were involved in five additional tournaments around the state, including the Student Angler Federation State Finals at Lake Cumberland and several events at Herrington and Taylorsville lakes.
- In 2014, the Tigers finished seventh out of 64 boats in the regional tournament, and seniors Brent Sturgeon ’14 and David Brewer qualified for a spot in the state finals at Kentucky Lake.
- The 2015 Tiger team ended its season with Dillon Spencer ’15 and PJ Loheide ’16 qualifying their boat for state. The St. X Anglers are the only team from Jefferson County to have placed a boat in the KHSAA State Finals in each of the first three years of the KHSAA Bass Fishing Tournament.
- In 2016, the Tigers had three boats in the Top-30 at the Regional, and the catch of Chris Armstrong ’16 and Jacob Gruneisen ’18 qualified a St. X boat for state for the fourth consecutive year. At the state tournament, Armstrong and Gruneisen finished a two-day weight record of nine pounds and fifteen ounces.
- In 2018, Alex Foley ’18 and Mason Cherry ’19 advanced to the Student Angler Federation National Tournament. They finished 19th out of 227 boats to move on to the National Tournament. They are the first boat from Louisville to ever qualify for this event.