Saint Xavier High School Powerlifting Team
POWERLIFTING SEASON OUTLOOK
Green and Gold Push-Pull Meet
|Saint Xavier High School||Details||Subscribe to Alerts|
Kentucky State Push-Pull Meet
|North Bullitt High School||Details||Subscribe to Alerts|
Iron Tiger Invitational
|Saint Xavier High School||Details||Subscribe to Alerts|
Chris Gold – Head Powerlifting Coach
Coach Gold is entering his 13th season as the Head Powerlifting Coach of the Iron Tigers and his 16th overall in powerlifting. Chris earned his bachelor’s degree in history at Gettysburg College where he also was a Division III wrestler. Chris earned his MAT from Bellarmine University and has been teaching for 25 years, including the past 19 at Saint Xavier where he teaches U.S. History and World Civilization. He was the 2015 Xaverian Brothers Faculty Excellence award winner and the 2016 Coach Joseph E. Maupin award winner for excellence in teaching and coaching.
Coach Gold has been coaching for 27 years, with the first 12 dedicated to coaching wrestling. As the Head Wrestling Coach at St. X from 2001 to 2005, he led the team to a regional and county championship, as well as a third-place finish at the state duals and a fourth-place finish at the state tournament. Overall, he has coached 19 wrestlers who placed in the state tournament, including one state champion and outstanding wrestler and four wrestlers who were state runner-ups. In addition to having helped coach three USAPL Teenage National Championship teams, he has worked with national champions, World Team qualifiers, and 38 individual state champions. Six of Coach Gold’s lifters have been named outstanding lifter at the state meet. In 2015 the Iron Tigers won the KY State Push-Pull Championship in both the varsity and JV divisions, and they repeated in 2016. The Iron Tigers returned to the top of the podium in 2018 as varsity state champions.
Coach Gold uses Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” as his guiding vision as he seeks to positively impact the body, mind, and faith of his students and athletes.
He and his wife, Sarah, have one daughter, Elizabeth. Coach Gold continues to work out on a regular basis and enjoys watching Elizabeth compete in track and basketball.
Coaches (L-R):Jamie Thomas, Felix Rodriguez, Head Coach Chris Gold, Rick Blair, Josh Mullin
Powerlifting Through The Years
- Saint Xavier began the Powerlifting program under the direction of Coach Larry Traub in 1987. In the first year of the club sport, the Saint Xavier intramural championship was contested for the first time.
- The Tigers competed in the Kentucky State Drug Free Championships in 1988 where lifters are divided into weight classes for state championships. The Tigers took home the team title and had eight individual state champions.
- The Iron Tigers took home the team title for the second consecutive year at the Kentucky State Drug Free Championships in 1989 while earning six individual titles.
- Quinn Nockerts ’91 was crowned individual national champion in the 123 lb. weight class at the 1990 National High School Drug Free Championships.
- From 1991 to 1998, the Iron Tigers produced 40 individual state champions as they secured eight team titles at the Kentucky State Drug Free Championships.
- The Tigers hosted the first intra-school competition known as the Iron Tiger Open in 1999.
- Billy Redmon ’00 was named the 1999 Individual National Champion of USA Powerlifting in the 148 lb. weight class.
- Chris Bischoff’02 earned the title of Individual National Champion of USA Powerlifting in the heavyweight class in 2000.
- The Tigers experienced great individual success as Alex James ’04, Chris Madras ’01, Charles Rallis ’04,Drew Traub ’02 and Chris Bischoff were named Individual National Champions by USA Powerlifting in 2001.
- Brandon Hatfield ’04, Joe Tronzo ’05, Alex Reid ’05, Chris Bischoff and Drew Traub were name Individual National Champions by USA Powerlifting in 2002. Drew was selected to the USA Powerlifting National Team and competed in the International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Championships in Taiwan, where he captured the Gold Medal.
- From 2003 to 2007, the Iron Tigers were Teenage Team National Champions five times and had 40 individual titlists, including Tyler Baines’06, Joe Tronzo, John Clark ’09 and Mike Tullis ’07, who joined Drew Traub as Iron Tigers who earned spots on the USA Powerlifting Subjuniors National Team.
- Chris Gold took over as head coach of the Powerlifting team in 2008. USA Powerlifting Individual National Champions included Adam Roth ’11 and Shane Stewart ’10.
- The Iron Tigers competed in the annual Kentucky High School Push-Pull Meet in 2011. In their first season, the Tigers took home second place and had an individual state champion in Michael Simon ’12.
- Michael Simon repeated as state champion at the Kentucky High School Push-Pull Meet in 2012. Jamie Thomas’13 also captured an individual title.
- Jamie Thomas earned his second title in 2013, and Hunter Williams ’15 became the first Tiger JV state champion at the Kentucky High School Push-Pull Meet.
- At the 2014 Push-Pull Meet, Hunter Williams won his first varsity state title and earned his second overall state title, while Cedric Miller ’14 was named Outstanding Lifter. Tucker Donlon ’16 and Joseph Fischer ’16 were also JV state champions.
- In 2015 Grant LeNeave ’15, Carter Mattingly ’15 and Joseph Fischer won state titles as the Iron Tigers captured their first KY High School Push-Pull Meet varsity championship. Clay Fitzhugh ’18, Christian Tobbe ’17, Evan Davis ’17 and Chase Carpenter ’18 each won JV state titles, helping the Iron Tigers capture their first JV state championship.
- The 2015 varsity team defeated Trinity 5-4 in their annual dual meet for its first-ever victory over the Shamrocks.
- In 2015, Coach Gold and the Tigers hosted the first Iron Tiger Invitational and were led by Outstanding Lifter Carter Mattingly.
- In 2016, Clay Fitzhugh, Griffin Fletcher ’16 (also Outstanding Lifter), Jeremy Portillo ’16 and Christian Tobbe won state titles as the Iron Tigers repeated as Push-Pull varsity state champions. Gus Thompson ’18 won a JV state title, helping the Iron Tigers repeat as JV state champions.
- The 2016 varsity team defeated Trinity 6-1 in their annual dual meet, and the JV team won 10-0 for its first-ever victory over the JV Shamrocks.
- Nathan Olhmann ’20, Josh Schmidt ’17 and Christian Tobbe all were individual state champions at the Push-Pull Meet in 2017 as the Iron Tigers finished as runner-up in the team race.
- In 2018 Matthew Meyer ’21, Zach Schultz ’20, Brendan Mulvilhill ’18, Camren Sams ’19, and Jack Hummel ’19 won state titles as the Iron Tigers captured their third varsity KY High School Push-Pull meet championship in four years. Wyatt Blair ’20, JR Calvery ’20, Paddy Walsh ’20, and Andrew Davis ’20 were individual JV state champions.
- In 2019 Matthew Meyer became a 2x state champion as the Iron Tigers finished second at the KY High School State Push-Pull meet. Fernando Maggard and Ian Thoben were JV state champions.